(Check out Evan: http://MotiveInMotion.com
I’ve been based in SE Asia for 11 months of the year for the past 3 years, while running/building my e-commerce business. I get asked a lot about what it’s like. So figured I’d list some of my favorite, and not-so-favorite parts of the ‘digital nomad’ lifestyle / having an online-based career while being an expat in another country.
What are your thoughts & ideas! Share your experiences! I consider it my job to help people get what they want.
Pros & Cons of Living Abroad (more affordable places)
Living Abroad: (in an affordable country)
- not around your friends & fam from home
- no rap concerts
- timezone change? (good for china sourcing for sure / WeChat)
- No coziness of your ‘home home’
- Language inconveniences / hassles
- Buying home comforts
- Social life: can take time to find good friends you clique with (same with moving to any new city)
- Relationships: can be more difficult to have serious relationships if you’re not permanently based in one city.
- Getting lost (*finding yourself?) (*good or bad?)
- Being out of your comfort zone
- Minimalist lifestyle?
- More affordable / bootstrap into your startup
- Longer runway for startup time
- Don’t have to cook / cheap local meals
- Exoticness ?
- Networking opportunities / interesting people / likeminded people / openminded people
- Unique experiences: New food, cultures, experiences
- Being out of your comfort zone: Getting Lost to Find Yourself
Pros & Cons of Being Your Own Boss: Freelance / Location Independent / Entrepreneur
- lack of structure / confusion about what exactly to do each day?
- No proven path to follow, putting the pieces together for everything
- the stress / and / or obsession…. “SHOPIFY AMAZON OPTIMIZE 4HOURWORKWEEK TOOLS OF TITANS”
- Uncertainty of success? (*good or bad?)
- Wake up when you want
- Work your own hours
- Freedom of designing your lifestyle
- Freedom of location (
- No income cap / Limitless potential vs a typical job
- able to potentially live life to the fullest by outsourcing and pivoting towards your passions.
What do you think? What are your pros & cons? Comment below!