Best Canggu Cafes to Work (Air Conditioned, 24 hr, Coworking etc.) ( 2019)
First of all some quick FAQ:
Are there any 24 hour cafes in Canggu or Bali?
- I couldn't find any 24hr cafe to work at. This is why I joined a co-working space. I do part-time memberships at Dojo and Tropical Nomads space which is the only place to work 24/7 other than your hotel. I got their part-time membership (5o hours) for $83, so I go to cafes during the day, and Dojo at night.
How is the Wifi Speeds in Canggu / Bali?
- It's fine! They now have fiber optic connection on the island. Nothing like Thailand's SuperWifi 100/100, but typical speeds at a cafe, coffee shop or restaurant are better than DSL, meaning better than 3/3... I'd say like a 5/5 might be typical, but some places like Oka cafe have 20mbps upload! I think it just depends on if the place has hooked up fiber yet. It not, its gonna be single-digit speeds, but if they do have fiber, up to double digits (download/upload).
What's the coffeeshop / cafe scene like?
- First of all, the 'coffeeshop scene' is not like in Chiang Mai – where there are many actual 'Coffeeshops' that serve just mainly coffee, let alone coffee chains, like Thailand has several, like TomToms, WakeUp, Wawee, BlackCanyon, Roastniyom etc., and countless non-chain coffeeshops. The only "coffee chain" I've noticed is Starbucks. Which is great in Canggu:)
- Canggu is more of a 'cafe scene', where food is first, and coffee is second. Everywhere is an organic cafe, where you can get just coffee if you want, but the food looks to yummy that I always just end up having lunch and coffee, and hanging out for a few hours working there. And for this reason, Dojo coworking space is pretty packed in the day. So, if you're coming for an extended period, I'd definitely sign up for a coworking space. Especially if you work late nights, as it's pretty much the only option haha.
Best Air Conditioned Cafes to Work at in Canggu
In general, all WiFi speeds are good! Double-digit download AND upload is not uncommon! So don't worry about it.
And this goes without saying with cafes in Bali, pretty much ALL of these places have great food menus – so I won't even mention food unless it's super special. Salads on salads. I typically order coffee first, sip til I get hungry, then order food. On average I'm work at a cafe in the day for 3-4 hrs sessions, then hit the gym.
- Alter Ego
- #1 fav, largest, best coffee, best food, wifi spotty in the back
- #2 fav, pretty big
- medium size
- Machinery Cafe
- medium size
- Le Petit Gourmet
- pretty big
- Hungry Bird
- medium size
- pretty big
- Gowes Coffee
- Japanese spot
- Starbucks Canggu
- large space upstairs, Wifi 20/20
- Starbucks Tanah Lot
- smaller, but often empty
Unlimited open-air / non-AC Cafes to Work at in Canggu
There are sooo many:) .. these are some I've been to.
Closer to Berawa Beach (Finns)
- District Canggu
- The Greenhouse
- Cinta Cafe
- Peloton Supershop
- Milk & Madu
- The Savage Kitchen
Closer to Batu Bolong Beach (Old Man's) / Echo Beach ( La Brisa)
- Coffee & Coconuts
- super big, 2 floors
- Cafe Vida
- Crate Cafe
- worked here several times. Usually quiet, on quiet street, great green paddy views, good food & fresh coffee.
- Oka's Bakery
- Deus Ex Machina
- Metta Cafe
- Green Spot
- At 59
- Padi Padi
Any other favs? Comment below?
Tropical Nomads (new 2019)
This is one of the newest coworking spaces in Canggu. I've been doing most of my nights here lately. I like the open main space, plus 4 air conditioned rooms upstairs. Wifi around 60/60 mbps. Located next to Pretty Poison -- this does mean tho that several nights a week, at night you hear the loud music next door -- fine with headphones and hasn't been a problem for me, but def not quiet.
Membership only: they have different tiers. Currently I'm only 'working' here for 3 weeks so I bought the 50 hour plan, and I go to Starbucks or a lunch cafe in the daytime for a few hours, then hit Dojo in the evenings, and I love it! When I come back for another month I'll do the same, probably with the 100hr plan.
- 50hrs: $83 / 100hrs: $130 / Unlimited: $195 – prices are for 1 month. Hours to not roll over.
- Wifi: 40/40 mbps, AC: yes there's 3 AC rooms. During the day it's pretty full though.
Outpost Canggu (new 2019)
- Air conditioned rooms upstairs